Premenstrual Syndrome Treatment in Homeopathy (PMS)
If physical and emotional symptoms in a female occurs one to two weeks before her period , it is then termed as Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS).
Symptoms of Premenstrual Syndrome:
Premenstrual syndrome symptoms often vary from women to women and gets resolved around the start of bleeding. Symptoms can occur both at physical and emotional level as follows :
Physical Premenstrual Syndrome Symptoms:
1) You may suffer from acne (pimples).
2) Painful tender breasts may bother you a week before your periods.
3) You might get bloating of abdomen.
4) You have tired feeling, disturbed sleep and headache.
5) You may get abdominal cramps and lower back pain.
6) You may have stomach upset, there may be constipation or diarrhoea.
7) Sometimes there may be joint and muscle pains too. ( it may be due to increased pressure within the tissues as retained fluid starts to collect, pressing on the nerve endings).
Emotional Premenstrual Syndrome Symptoms :
1) You may have mood swings.
2) You get angry and become irritable easily.
3)There is disturbed sleep pattern.
4) You feel sad and there is a tired feeling.
5) You have food cravings.
6) You get stressed out and anxious.
7) There may be a change in interest for sex, etc.
Often, symptoms may be present for around 6-7 days.The pattern of symptoms may change over time from one female to another. These symptoms do not occur during pregnancy or after menopause.
There are very few cases with some severe premenstrual syndrome symptoms at emotional and physical level which currently affects only 3–8% of menstruating women which are :
– Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD).
– Menstrual Psychosis.
Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) :
PMDD is a severe form of premenstrual syndrome.
Where one can observe changes such as :
1. Mood Swings.
2. Depression or feelings of hopelessness.
3. Intense anger and conflict with other people.
7. Decreased interest in usual activities.
8. Difficulty in concentrating.
10. Change in appetite.
11. Feeling out of control.
12. Disturbed sleep.
13. Cramps and bloating.
14. Severe breast tenderness.
15. Severe Headaches.
16. Joint or muscle pain.
17. Hot flashes, a sudden feeling of feverish heat.
Menstrual psychosis is a term describing psychosis.
Psychosis is a mental condition in which it gets difficult to distinguish what is real and what is not.
Typically occurs before or during menstruation. Menstrual psychosis symptoms can include :
1. Confusion or hallucinations (Sometimes it can be seeing or hearing things that others do not see or hear).
2. Mutism and stupor.
3. Delusions, or manic state (false beliefs).
4. Incoherent speech and behavior that is inappropriate for the situation.
5. Sleep related issues and anability to do day to day tasks may also happen.
6. Low self esteem and social withdrawal may also be seen.
Causes of Premenstrual Syndrome:
–Hormonal factors play an important role.
–Emotional problems, such as stress, depression worsen it.
–Lifestyle factors, low levels of vitamins and minerals, high salt diet, alcohol and coffee intake can increase the symptoms such as water retention and bloating.
Types of Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) :
• Type 1 PMS A: (Currently observed in 65 to 75 % of women.)
This is the most common type and currently observed in 65 to 75 % of women.
It is PMS A if you suffer from nervous tension, mood swings, anxiety and irritability.
• Type 2 PMS B: (Currently observed in 65 to 75 % of women.)
It is due to excess aldosterone production, which produces salt and water retention.
It is PMS B if you suffer from symptoms of fluid retention, weight gain, breast heaviness and swelling and abdominal bloating.
• Type 3 PMS C: (Currently observed in 24 to 35% of women.)
It is due to decreased carbohydrate tolerance.
It is PMS C if you suffer from sweet craving, increased appetite, dizziness and fainting.
• Type 4 PMS D: (Currently observed in 25 to 35% of women.)
It is due to hormonal imbalance – high progesterone and low oestrogen level.
It is PMS D if you suffer from depression, crying, confusion, forgetfulness and insomnia.
Diagnosis of Premenstrual Syndrome:
There are no laboratory tests or physical findings to verify the diagnosis of PMS.
Your chief complaint along with emotional symptoms associated with PMS (most typically irritability, tension, or unhappiness) are noted down for evaluation.
• Mild PMS is common, and more severe symptoms would qualify as PMDD. To establish a pattern and determine if it is PMDD, you are asked to keep a prospective record of your symptoms on a calendar for at least two menstrual cycles.
• Various instruments have been used as standard to describe PMS, such as
-VAS -Visual Analogue Scales
-COPE -Calendar of Premenstrual Syndrome Experiences
– PRISM-Prospective Record of the Impact and Severity of Menstruation, etc.
What can I do to improve my situation ?
– Stay well hydrated by drinking water and other fluids.
– Reducing intake
of salt and caffiene.
– Light physical exercise is recommended, it increases the circulation and lowers the stress level.
– Limit the use of anti-depressants, hormonal medicines which can lead to side-effects such as :
The most common side effects of hormonal medicines in general include breast tenderness, breast enlargement, headache, nausea, fluid retention, vaginal bleeding, vaginal discharge, etc. Long term uses of Hormone therapy (HT) increases the risk of vein clots in the legs (deep vein thrombosis ) and blood clots in the lungs, increases the risk of breast cancer, uterine cancer, heart diseasesand stroke.
Long-Term Side-Effects of Antidepressants:
Sexual problems, including inability to reach orgasm , Weight gain, Feeling emotionally numb (no joy) Not feeling like themselves, Reduced positive feelings, Feeling as if they’re addicted, etc.
Seeing all these side-effects it is recommended to switch to holistic mode of healing.
Homeopathy is a Holistic science which stimulates the immunity and thereby helps to have a happy premenstrual phase without any side-effects.
What can Homeopathy do?
The social implications of PMS are considerable. There is an increased incidence of anti-social behavior, accidents, illness and psychiatric crises in pre-menstrual women.
Homeopathy has a Holistic approach in which the cause of PMS is cured from its root cause.
It improves your overall immunity and helps to overcome above mentioned symptoms quickly.
Mood swings, irritability, sleep problems and other emotional issues are dealt very gently with Homeopathic treatment. Besides the physical symptoms like headache, breast tenderness or body pains are also taken care of after proper case taking and individualization.
Your constitutional homeopathic remedy is selected after matching your mental and physical symptoms which will further prevent you from PMS in future.
Homeopathic Remedies for PMS:
1. If you are suffering from a sad and depressed emotional state before periods and want to be left alone then homeopathic remedy IGNATIA can be helpful in this situation. You have aversion to company and keep on weeping for long. There are lots of mood swings, mood suddenly changes from joy to sadness.
2. If you start to weep over little issues even in public and usually feel better by other’s sympathy then homeopathic remedy PULSATILLA can work like wonders. In open air you feel good.
3. If suffering from extreme irritability a few days before periods with an aversion to indulge in any kind of physical or mental labor then homeopathic remedy SEPIA can be helpful to you. It calms down the mental irritability. You suffer from pimples and feel bearing down sensation. You may even suffer from menstrual irregularity.
4. Homeopathic remedy CHAMOMILLA can be helpful if you become irritable with an aversion to talking. If forced to speak there may be usage of abusive language, with an aversion to the company of people.
5. If there is a feeling of sadness and have weeping episodes while alone then homeopathic remedy NATRUM MURIATICUM can be helpful. There is tendency to have pimples, you may be of reserved nature. and there maybe craving for salty food items.
6. If headache accompanied by vertigo and dim vision which gets worse a few days before the onset of periods then homeopathic remedy LACHESIS can be helpful. The pain is relieved as soon as the periods begin.
7. If suffering from extreme constipation before periods and a lot of straining is required in order to pass stool then homeopathic remedy SILICEA can be helpful to you in this situation. The stool even slips back after being partially expelled.
8. If there is hard swelling or enlargement along with pain in the breast before your periods then homeopathic remedy CONIUM work wonders. The pain gets increased by touching.
9. If suffering from bloating before menses and there is heaviness and distension in abdomen after eating, then homeopathic remedy CARBO VEGETABLIS can help you. You may also have vomiting of undigested food.
10. Homeopathic remedy BOVISTA is of great help if you pass loose stool (diarrhoea) before periods. You may also suffer from heavy bleeding and Inter Menstrual Bleeding episodes.
Note : These are indicated medicines and should be taken after advice of qualified Homeopathic Doctor. A constitutional medicine is prescribed according to case history and individualization of patient which stops further recurrence of Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
Don’t miss new updates on health related articles, click here to subscribe!
Consult Online for Treatment of Premenstrual Syndrome
30 minutes session with Dr. Komal